Virginia Preschool Initiative
Hopewell City Public Schools provides a Preschool Initiative Program at Woodlawn Learning Center for one hundred twenty six students. This is an early childhood development program open to students who turn four years old by September 30th of the program year. Each family must meet specific eligibility requirements. The program is designed to promote a child's school readiness skills and social competencies through attention to health (medical, dental, and mental), education, family support, community collaboration, and parental involvement. The program is funded through the Virginia Department of Education.
The goals of the program include:
- Providing a well-managed program that meets federal and state guidelines, delivers services in the most effective and efficient manner, and reflects high quality services to children and families;
- Providing a child-centered education program that promotes optimal development and learning for enrolled children and gives them the tools necessary for school success;
- Delivering support services to children that focus on comprehensive growth and development;
- Providing a smooth and effective transition into the preschool program and from preschool to kindergarten for children and families;
- Developing strong partnerships with community resources that enhance the effectiveness of the program's service to children and families;
- Providing opportunities for parents to achieve self-fulfillment and develop leadership skills;
- Developing effective collaborations within the community, which enhance the healthy growth and development of all children and families.